SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012

Bountydaughter is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
To poke with someone is alright, to poke with a reporter conducting and interview that is going to the press and is going to be posted on the social media, the way he had done, about things that define him as a Captain, is just absurd. He defined himself as a Captain that says that bad weather does not exist, that likes to chase hurricanes and have a good ride out of them, not only to the reporter but to the thousands of people that would see that interview. This don't seem to make sense to me, unless he was boasting.

You say that he is poking, well, that is your opinion, I find it hard to believe that someone is poking not only with a guy but with the thousands that would see and read that interview. I believe that the term boasting is more appropriated, but off course that is just my opinion.

But that is not the only time I find that he was boasting. I believe also that he was boasting when he wrote that the "Bounty new no boundaries" or when he said that a XVIII century designed wooden ship would be safer facing an Hurricane on the sea than in a Port.

Again that is just my opinion based mainly in the almost complete incomprehension that other Tall ship captains have shown by his decision to sail out. I assume that Bounty's Captain knew that he was taking a considerable risk taking Bounty out of Port and sailing towards an Hurricane.

Bounty's Captain was a professional mariner and had lives to his care. His decision to leave port in that Ship sailing towards an Hurricane was unanimously criticized by all professional mariner community even before the boat being lost.

A professional captain does not take risks with the lives of his crew. Obviously that was what the bounty Captain had done. Again, it is not me stating that, is all marine professional community that says that what he had done was wrong. If that does not make it a one time foolish decision it would make it a behavior of a Captain that had unfounded confidence in the seaworthiness of his boat and on his own capacities to manage all kind of weather.

I believe you are more qualified than all of us put together to judge him like a man but that is not what we are discussing here, but his actions has a Captain and regarding that I don't think you are more qualified than us and you are certainly less than all those tall ship Captains that had already stated what they thought.

Regards

Paulo
That reporter was from a small public access channel in a small town in Maine. If this incident would not have happened very few people would have actually seen that interview. That interview was not going to press or to social media. Dozens of people would have seen it if this did not happen, most certainly not thousands. The reporter decided to post it to social media after the incident. You cannot judge Robin as boastful from that one interview. It is unfortunate that this reporter felt the need to use this tragedy to publicize himself and all opinions are being based from this one silly interview.
I can tell you judging the man and the captain are not two separate things. I don't know how you feel qualified to judge him as a captain. Yes, this decision went horribly wrong. I will never deny that but people make decisions and sometimes they do not go as we had planned or thought. This does not take away from his capabilities as a captain.
This situation has not been criticized by all of the mariner community. Not ALL tall ship captains have spoken out against his decision. The ones who do speak against him are the ones that get the attention. We can agree to disagree but I do not think that one decision, regardless of the outcome defines a person as reckless, foolish or egotistical. No one will ever know what was exactly going through his mind when he made that decision but I can tell you that it was a thought out decision based on experience. As a man and a captain this is how Robin was.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook