SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get the money for your first sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012

IamJohnGalt is on a distinguished road
Re: How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

Not going to create more threads, so will just keep asking questions here.

Essentially decided to do a circumnavigation instead of doing my MSc Financial Engineering as my field has no job prospects, and I feel the circumnavigation will give me the adventure to settle down and help me with my work (I am a mathematical economics major). Joined th forum to plan out what I need so everything can be ready to go th day I walk across the stage. I know many here say don't do it, but I will try my best to do it.

All I have really done so far is research boats, and what kind of courses I legally need to do it.

Is there some sort of guide to getting ready for this?

Also, as for buying a boat. I've decided to keep it under 30 ft to keep it easy to singlehanded as well as keep it within my price range. The two contenders right now are the contessa 26 and the flicka 20 (I put my budget at 20 000$ Canadian for the boat, not including repairs/preparations). I can have that within two years, leaves a year to come up with money to prep rigging for offshore and practice sailing to be ready to go. Looking for help making a budget of extras I will need (generally, not specific as I haven't picked up a boat yet. So mean like solar panels, electronics)

I understand my strengths/weaknesses for both the size and the boats
-pocket cruisers can't carry much water
-contessa is gunna mean I'm always hunched over (I'm 6ft1)
-flicka is a drifter in light winds, and doesn't have a head (from what I have seen?)

Mainly picked because they have a proven track record in rough seas. like my trading portfolio, track records mean a lot when you go out into the world. So basically I am looking for solutions, and suggestions to make my planning more structured and so I can build a real budget to get this to happen.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook