SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012

YukonJack is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountydaughter View Post
That reporter was from a small public access channel in a small town in Maine. If this incident would not have happened very few people would have actually seen that interview. That interview was not going to press or to social media. Dozens of people would have seen it if this did not happen, most certainly not thousands. The reporter decided to post it to social media after the incident. You cannot judge Robin as boastful from that one interview. It is unfortunate that this reporter felt the need to use this tragedy to publicize himself and all opinions are being based from this one silly interview.
I can tell you judging the man and the captain are not two separate things. I don't know how you feel qualified to judge him as a captain. Yes, this decision went horribly wrong. I will never deny that but people make decisions and sometimes they do not go as we had planned or thought. This does not take away from his capabilities as a captain.
This situation has not been criticized by all of the mariner community. Not ALL tall ship captains have spoken out against his decision. The ones who do speak against him are the ones that get the attention. We can agree to disagree but I do not think that one decision, regardless of the outcome defines a person as reckless, foolish or egotistical. No one will ever know what was exactly going through his mind when he made that decision but I can tell you that it was a thought out decision based on experience. As a man and a captain this is how Robin was.

It is my respectful opinion that your dad made a very bad decision to sail in the direction of Hurricane Sandy.

This was the storm of the century. It was not the case that he was caught by surprise. A captain's responsibility is to also take many things into consideration of a known event-- his ship, his crew He must have known the abuse from the sea that the BOUNTY would have been subjected to. Would she be able to handle it ? He was also sailing with what would be considered a light crew for any Tall Ship under normal conditions.

I really do not mean to sound harsh, but these are my opinions.

I am really sorry for the loss of your dad. I know what that is like.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook