SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
...One last comment to say that if not all Tall ship Captains made public statements about Bounty's captain to sail out of port to an hurricane, all that talked showed disapproval about that decision...
See what I mean about people rolling back their prior statements?

But I think that even your revised statement may be inaccurate. Like much speculation and chat room gossip, you are a victim of sampling bias. It is likely that there were some who spoke less critically of the captain, but it was less "newsworthy" so their statements did not go viral like the critical statements.

It's easy to sit at your computer with 20/20 hindsight and say the captain made the wrong decision. Since there were fatalities, it is clear that it was a bad decision. It goes without saying, which is why it is not necessary to repeat it and repeat it and repeat it...

What I am interested in hearing is what were the facts and prior experiences that led to his decision. The fact that the USCG forced Bounty out of port as Hurricane Andrew was approaching is one of those facts that can put this decision into a broader context.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 12-16-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook