SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get the money for your first sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post

Essentially decided to do a circumnavigation instead of doing my MSc Financial Engineering as my field has no job prospects, and I feel the circumnavigation will give me the adventure to settle down and help me with my work (I am a mathematical economics major).
John... I know it's frustrating at this point and it seams fruitless in your pursuit of your dreams to go sailing... I would listen to many here regarding getting your first boat... I prefer if you will that you continue your university studies and at the same time try to save and wait for the sailboat that might come your way over the several years while you complete that Masters degree... if you believe that degree is not economically viable in this market get an MBA instead... some companies (mine did) pays your total university fees while working for them... to boot you get to save money over the two years you work for them... this way you have some savings and a nice boat you've prepped for the circumnavigation... glad my son is getting a head start with the sailboat I will give him... but he's already out of college and has a great career although far from the ocean (he is in Atlanta)... either way don't give up... there are many boats out there and you might pick up an almost 'free' boat if you look hard enough.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook