SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caribbean bareboat charter invitation
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006

42ndstreet is on a distinguished road
hi Bob-I took a basic keelboat class, a little bit of sailing, and went to the BVI's and bareboated a 464. My wife(who never took a class) wanted to take the 505, but el cheapo(me) said no. We had 7 people on board including my 11 year old daughter at the time. What an experience of a lifetime.
My advice---Just the 2 of you would have a great time on a 42'. It is not a hard sail. If she is into it, You will be fine on your own.
tips----
If you don't want to pull up to a dock the entire week, you do not have to. We were there a week and the fuel gauge needle never budged off of full. You will have to know how to "communicate with your wife" when picking up a mooring. It is crucial that the 2 of you have practiced working together on this. She drives and you grab the ball with your boat hook.
2. Leave early anchorage early and arrive early.
3. Before going into the new anchorage, look at the chart and cruising guide with your wife and make sure you are both on the same page.
4. Let your wife plan the itinerary. You just be glad that you're there!
5. Remember that your mood and how you carry yourself, will have a huge impact on the whole crew. My wife said she had never seen me so nice and content than I was that week.
I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook