SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get the money for your first sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post
everything you listed sounds like student life.
Yes but even as a student you probably still had running water, still had heat, probably air conditioning, a telephone, you probably had cable television, high speed internet, some kind of refrigeration, someone preparing food for you, etc.

Life on a simple no frills boat isn't anything like that.

Life on a simple and inexpensive boat is like camping, except your tent is with you where ever you go, and carries all your equipment with you.

I'm all for it, but it is a change from the way that most people in the U.S. live and unless you grew up in shack with a dirt floor somewhere it'll be a big lifestyle change, you may find yourself wishing for the days of student life when all you had to do was turn a knob and there was warm water for a shower. It isn't just about saving money by cutting back on movies and beer, it's also about figuring out how to wash your clothes in a plastic tub with a plunger using water you carried from a gas station, it's just too much for some people.

Of course, with money you can invest in systems and have hot and cold running water, windlass, refrigeration, lots of electricity, satellite phones, etc, but the price goes up and up ...

I am TOTALLY NOT trying to discourage you, I'm just expanding on the point in my last post which is that I think if you want to do something that can help you prepare (which is what you said in a previous post) then my advice would be to focus on the lifestyle changes, learning to cook your own meals from ingredients you will have on your boat, etc.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 12-16-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook