SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-16-2012 Thread Starter
Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"

I have a lead on a Cape Dory 30 at a good price, and I'm trying to decide if it's a good fit for me.

I plan to keep the boat in the Chesapeake Bay, probably taking day and weekend trips out of the Annapolis area. I want a boat that can accommodate two couples for a weekend.

I'm concerned by reviews of the CD30, which consistently describe it as slow in light air. This particular boat has been converted from a cutter to a sloop with a 130 Genoa, which should help, though I don't know how much.

I have no interest in racing, or getting anywhere fast, but nor do I want to sit still in the the bay waiting for enough wind for a nice sail.

It's hard to tell whether the negative reviews are from folks who are ultra performance oriented, or whether this is really not a good boat for my purposes. Fans of the CD30 describe how well it does in blue water, but I have no real plans for that.

I admit that I place a premium on aesthetics, and love that aspect of this boat. I want a boat that's great not only to sail, but enjoyable to hang around on as well. I like the styling of the CD's, Tartans, C&C's, Compacs, Columbias, etc. of that era.

I don't think I necessarily need a 30' boat. I've been on some 27's that seemed adequate in terms of interior space. Others, not so much.

I have very limited sailing experience, having passed my basic keelboat, cruising and bareboat certfications all in the last six months.

Any thoughts?

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome