SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012

john2510 is on a distinguished road
Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"

I have a lead on a Cape Dory 30 at a good price, and I'm trying to decide if it's a good fit for me.

I plan to keep the boat in the Chesapeake Bay, probably taking day and weekend trips out of the Annapolis area. I want a boat that can accommodate two couples for a weekend.

I'm concerned by reviews of the CD30, which consistently describe it as slow in light air. This particular boat has been converted from a cutter to a sloop with a 130 Genoa, which should help, though I don't know how much.

I have no interest in racing, or getting anywhere fast, but nor do I want to sit still in the the bay waiting for enough wind for a nice sail.

It's hard to tell whether the negative reviews are from folks who are ultra performance oriented, or whether this is really not a good boat for my purposes. Fans of the CD30 describe how well it does in blue water, but I have no real plans for that.

I admit that I place a premium on aesthetics, and love that aspect of this boat. I want a boat that's great not only to sail, but enjoyable to hang around on as well. I like the styling of the CD's, Tartans, C&C's, Compacs, Columbias, etc. of that era.

I don't think I necessarily need a 30' boat. I've been on some 27's that seemed adequate in terms of interior space. Others, not so much.

I have very limited sailing experience, having passed my basic keelboat, cruising and bareboat certfications all in the last six months.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook