SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Lou,

Agreed, Shackleton's BFS may be the best ever, and he was certainly the best captain ever. Keeping a crew together through all that.... wow. I especially liked reading about his "game" of, "what's for dinner is under the hat".

In other BFS news, I'm safely on the couch reading SN after tripling up the lines on my boat. Big storm warning here and it's blowing nicely. Here is a wintertime video to whet the appetites of those of us who are couch-bound for now.

You know what I love the most about Australians and the Kiwis who imitate them? They're so under-spoken. Listen to this guy's account of being told to take an experimental boat out and see if he can break it. FORTY-some knots over the ground and the bows burying at regular intervals, with a pitch-pole a very real possibility and he is all cool and calm in his description of it. Just look at how small that jib of their is!

Anyone else got the stones to gybe downwind at 42knots of boat speed? My account of the race would begin with, "after I my bowels were completely emptied I could get on with the business of holding on to the nearest stanchion...."

Cheers mate! --MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook