SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your first boat
Thread: Your first boat
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012

klubko is on a distinguished road
Re: Your first boat

I haven't bought a boat using borrowed money (which might be a good idea if the boat saved you money, so make sure that you can dock/anchor for very little and have a good access to land), but I have lived on a boat (4.2 tonnes displacement) while writing my PhD thesis. I loved it, but the space is limited. If you need lots of books and materials, it might get quite tight. But now days you can have almost everything electronic, if you don't mind reading ebooks. You will be living close to the nature, so you will not do much studying and researching when it starts to blow hard. Generally you won't get much sleep in bad weather unless you find yourself well protected spot, but those are much to often expensive.
Ad buying the boat. You probably will buy cheap, that means the boat will need a lot of work. You might get away with simple refit in the beginning (leaks, electricity, living quarters, cooking, washing, toilet).
So my suggestion is: make a real good plan (find out how much the boat will cost including refit, find place where you can stay, find out about your access to land, where to get water, etc.) or be prepared to spend lots of very valuable time taking care of your basic needs like shelter and hygiene. If you are preparing for an intensive studying rather then just getting a degree, I wouldn't do it, unless you have plenty of time (6 months to 1 year) to get everything setup and get used to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook