SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do?
Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: What to do?

I'm appalled that not one of the so called experts here has addressed several things you need to bone up on.
Here's a couple things I found out when taking my Hobbie 16 on a trans atlantic

Fishing - Use the floaty type rope to hold the bait (taking the dog will save on wear an tear on the kids, good thought).
You'll want at least a 8 foot boat hook for pulling in the shark with.
Sun dried fish can be quite good- don't worry about fuel for the stove.

Kelp and seaweed is a delicacy in Japan.

Water can be a bit of a problem if you don't think ahead - a shower curtain is useful to both catch and hold water. Check out the "still" thread here as well.

Often you will find that when you go into restaurants and bars to cadge free meals and booze - they will have charts just laying around on tables being used as place mats. They aren't very good on detail but make up for it with colorful cartoons.

My second boat was a Hunter 31 - here's a tip - when the carpet on the walls has finally rotted off and peeled away you will want to use black paint to replace it. Otherwise the sun shines through the fiberglass and it's hard to sleep during the day time.
Also, with the Hunter you won't need to worry about pirates - just out sail them.

You ARE going to need some way of making electricity (for the ipod/ipad and kids toys) - Read up on the solar stick thread here then go out and make your own - it just takes a 2x4 and some lag bolts. Here's a good tip - lots of folks on mooring balls leave these small flexible panels laying on their decks, they don't want them (that's why they left them out). Borrow them at night when they aren't hot.

As to learning other languages - why? You obviously speak English already?