SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have been trying to find evidence regarding Bounty sailing in other Hurricanes and except that run away from Andrews in 1992 (they run away from an Hurricane did not sail one) I cannot find anything notwithstanding the crew and other sources vague statements about that. It seems that you have found information about that.

Do you mind to share?

Regards

Paulo
Reading the link about the BOUNTY and Andrew, I remain somewhat skeptical about that account... I was spending a lot of time in South Florida back in those days, and I'm surprised I have no recollection of ever hearing that story before...

A couple of years after some guy "begins taking courses to obtain a Captain's License", he's given command of a 180' sailing vessel to outrun a Cat 5 hurricane? With a crew of 5, 3 of whom had little previous sailing experience? Seriously?

Then, he claims they were about 50 miles south of the center of a storm that packed 165 mph winds when it made landfall south of Miami? In the Florida Straits, i.e, in or near the Gulf Stream, in N-NE winds? Seriously?

Not saying none of this happened, of course - only suggesting some of the details of that account are probably best taken with more than a couple of grains of salt... (grin)

I wonder, where was the BOUNTY'S full-time skipper during all this? Why did they need a freelancer to perform this mission? Because the real captain thought it was crazy, perhaps?

I'd still prefer to see some sort of documentation re the hurricanes BOUNTY supposedly sailed through under Capt. Walbridge's command, but I won't be holding my breath...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook