SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"

John-

It's just a fact of life that summer time on the Chessie is mostly light-air days, and you'll have to contend with that.

Yes, the CD30 is heavy, and requires a bit of a breeze to get moving. My dockmate has one, and I've sailed on it. A 130% genoa is just not going to get the job done on a 3-5 knot summer day.

These are good boat though, as Chuckles says they're very stable and solidly built. Since you have no interest in racing, and are partial to the aesthetics, I recommend that you not bother trying to turn a racing boat into a cruiser.

Find a 155% or even a 170% genoa and in addition to the previously mentioned assymetric spinnaker. That'll help keep the CD30 moving in the lighter breezes. I have a 170% for my Pearson. It's not legal to race with, but perfectly suitable for cruising.

Spring and fall are the best sailing seasons on the Chesapeake, and these times are where the CD 30 will really shine. That boat will shrug off a 3-foot chop in 25 knots of breeze with the proper sails flying.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook