SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
As an attorney who practices family law and a former stepparent, I find it odd that a stepdaughter would identify herself as a "daughter" of the deceased, in the United States. Legally, stepchildren are quite different from biological children, and have virtually no rights with respect to the stepparent, and stepparents have virtually no responsibilities to stepchildren. The good Captain could have adopted a stepdaughter if he desired to create the legal relationships flowing naturally from the blood relationship. Based on my experience, few stepchildren would have used the verbiage Bountysdaughter did in describing herself.

I am not saying it is not possible, just a bit odd. Of course, later-in-life marriages and blended families in the U.S. have blurred many legal distinctions in the eyes of some in these kinds of families.
Also BTW, and this is completely off the topic, this statement confused me as I have a brother who is step parent whose kids callhim dad. Its how they decided to handle the relatinship when they blended thier families. Obviously you and they in your family chose to keep them seperated from you by use of the term stepdad.

In my family we didnt have that distinction, my brother was called their dad. They had two, one biological and one who they lived with who fed them, went to games and did homework with them and took an interest in them. Not everyone sees the world like a family lawyer ( divorce attorney). To this day they call him dad, even though he wasnt the biological father.

How does one become a former steparent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-17-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook