SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Looking for evidence of Bounty sailing on another Hurricanes I found some references of having sailing one back in 1992 and looking better I found this report that is quite amazing:

When the Bounty was in Miami safely moored at the dock the Coast Guard, with Hurricane Andrew bearing down and fearing the ship would destroy the docks and the Miami waterfront, ordered the crew of two to sail the ship or they were going to drill holes in the hull and sink her at the dock to prevent damage to the port of Miami. The crew got another three volunteer crewmembers and sailed the Bounty into the violent seas and winds of one of the most destructive hurricanes in recorded history. The Bounty survived the ordeal. The waterfront of Miami survived the storm as well.

Read more: GUEST OPINION: Bounty's crew faced a dilemma: Sail or seek safe harbor? - Taunton, MA - The Taunton Daily Gazette

This is true? What would have happened to those that have ordered the boat out with a crew of 5 if the boat had sunk that time and lives had been lost?

PCP,
Good find on this article. Couple of points. Maybe it is true (but I highly doubt it), I cannot imagine that the Coast Guard would order a ship out to sea as a huricane approached, or threaten to drill holes into its hull (the hurricane Andrew incident mentioned in the article). I just cannot imagine this is true.

Does anyone have more information to prove or disprove this statement?

Also, the writer of the article is Tom Murray is former president of the Fall River Chamber Foundation, the organization that brought the Bounty to Fall River. The arcticle is also labled "GUEST OPINION: Bounty's crew faced a dilemma: Sail or seek safe harbor?"

Regards

Last edited by casey1999; 12-17-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook