SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012

sparklepl3nty is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
Just an FYI...I am in Baltimore/ It would take almost 36 hours at top speed to even get to the Atlantic from Balrtimore and we receive just wind and no tidal surge from Sandy as it passed over 45 miles north of here after Landfall. I even stayed on my boat in my slip through it adjusting lines. So the fact he remaned in port In Baltimore is not really relevant as he wasnt in any Sandy danger.

Dave
Dave,

I know the author of the comment on gCaptain fairly well. The reason he stated the location and condition of his boat was because it is a TallShip as well, and being a prudent mariner had secured his vessel for the possibility of extremely high winds and high water. He was making a point that Walbridge could have easily moved Bounty to Baltimore (even ducking inside the Chesapeake through the C&D Canal for more protection from the storm en route). I know folks were worried Sandy would head up the Bay (much like Irene did) and destroy a lot of property and vessels. Again being prudent, the author ensured his vessel was protected and safe, and his crew on high alert for weather changes. Bounty has been to Baltimore many times, and could have easily found the same protection (and even if she was dashed against the dock and went down, she would not be in thousands of feet of water).

Somewhat off topic, but the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race - from the Bay Bridge to Norfolk - record for a vessel similar to the author's ship is just over 11 hours. Provided, Bounty could in no way sail or motor that fast. Just saying..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook