Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
John,

You can get the book answer on slowness here;
PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps
where you'll see the CD rates 207 versus a 174 for a C&C 30. Now 33 seconds a mile wont make a good day of sailing bad, for being a little slower. But these ratings are for average wind speeds, my experience is that in lighter air the slower boats completely stop a lot sooner. What that may mean in your venue is that with a C&C 30 you might enjoy Summer sailing sailing 70% of the time you wish to, whereas with CD 30 you could sail only 40% of the time you wish to.

So the slower boat means you get 40% less sailing. If you want to enjoy your Summer in a light air venue, get a good performance boat, and even then, equip her with a 150% genoa and a spinnaker (preferably an oversize furling asym on a 4-5 foot sprit), and spend a lot more of the summer, well, sailing.
IMHO this is the best advice here. We have very light air here in the summer as well. If you want to go sailing instead of bobbing around a great deal of the time. get a lighter boat with a bigger rig and a smaller keel than the CD.

I have time in on an Alberg 30 here and it was frustrating. Get a more contemporary design and you'll have more fun for your stated purposes.

Edit: re: PHRF 207 for a 30' makes it a dog - my 26' Quarter Tonner rated 195
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 12-17-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook