SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
IMHO this is the best advice here. We have very light air here in the summer as well. If you want to go sailing instead of bobbing around a great deal of the time. get a lighter boat with a bigger rig and a smaller keel than the CD.

I have time in on an Alberg 30 here and it was frustrating. Get a more contemporary design and you'll have more fun for your stated purposes.

Edit: re: PHRF 207 for a 30' makes it a dog - my 26' Quarter Tonner rated 195
Very poor advice here, actually just plain wrong. While I admit that my Alberg is a bit slower than some, if there is wind it will move just as any other boat, just slower. you just have to know how to make the boat sail in light air, something this poster does not obviously know how to do. I had trouble at first and after some practice and the right sails, my alberg moves quite nicely under 10kts now. BTW the sailing here in the summer is not too bad at all, this summer saw quite a few days with 10-15. even some 20kt days. Heck I have been trying to get out here lately in DEC and the winds have been light and too foggy. Its a mixed bag so buy the boat you like. if the wind gets kicking which it does....you'll be glad you're in an Alberg designed boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!

Last edited by Cruiser2B; 12-17-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook