SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Very poor advice here, actually just plain wrong. While I admit that my Alberg is a bit slower than some, if there is wind it will move just as any other boat, just slower. you just have to know how to make the boat sail in light air, something this poster does not obviously know how to do. I had trouble at first and after some practice and the right sails, my alberg moves quite nicely under 10kts now. BTW the sailing here in the summer is not too bad at all, this summer saw quite a few days with 10-15. even some 20kt days. Heck I have been trying to get out here lately in DEC and the winds have been light. Its a mixed bag so buy the boat you like. if the wind gets kicking which it does....you'll be glad you're in an Alberg designed boat.
Sorry, but a PHRF of 228 on a 30' is not slow - it's VERY slow. A Capri 22 rates 207. A Wetsnail 32 rates 213.

I fully agree that Albergs are good looking, well built and sail well when the wind blows (with a lot of weather helm in my experience) but they ARE slow in light air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook