SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Beginners sailing grounds?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Beginners sailing grounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
There is a saying; "If you can sail the Bay, you can sail ANYWHERE on earth."
San Francisco Bay has the most varied sailing conditions of any place I have ever sailed. In a half day you can sail light air to gale force winds and back, through fog or currents that can turn a 65' staysail schooner under full sail in 30 knots of wind, 180 degrees, leaving you with all sails back-winded and your spreaders in the water.
In over 50 years of sailing, I have never sailed in more challenging and varied conditions in one place.
The conditions you describe are not the best for a beginner..... But yes San Francisco bay does offer alot, I was just out there this summer, but it is only a fraction of the size chesapeake. Sailing New England would be a great spot too, but the season is fairly short.
I would say pick the weather and living conditions you require and move your sailing there. Here on the Ches...it hot and humid. SF bay is cool and lots of wind but cost of living is a bit much and very populated,.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook