SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 12-17-2012
Cruiser2B

Re: Cape Dory 30 - How slow is "slow?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Sorry, but a PHRF of 228 on a 30' is not slow - it's VERY slow. A Capri 22 rates 207. A Wetsnail 32 rates 213.

I fully agree that Albergs are good looking, well built and sail well when the wind blows (with a lot of weather helm in my experience) but they ARE slow in light air.
Never said it was fast, nor did the OP require a race boat. A Cape Dory 30 with the right sails will move fairly well on a light day on the Chesapeake or anywhere. An Alberg designed boat can and does make a great day/weekend cruiser. A good light air sail made all the difference for me in the light airs of the chesapeake.... but what do i know....I just own one and have a video, several, to prove an Alberg can move in light air......

My Alberg had some weather helm when I first sailed her. Last year when I rerigged my boat, I redesigned the mast base plate, just drilled some additional holes, to allow the mast to move forward even further over the beam. I moved the mast forward an additional 7/8" of an inch and it has made a tremendous diffence in reducing weather helm. maybe try it on the one you used to sail......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My two lovely ladies!!
USCG 100T Near Coast Master with 100T Inland Sail Endorsement
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome