SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't need no lessons..just go..
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012

Dubbinchris is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't need no lessons..just go..

My pre-boat experience was pretty minimal as well. I'd done tons of reading and fortunately my mind is pretty mechanical so it all pretty much makes sense to me. My first boat I found was pretty cheap and somewhat small. I didn't do a ton of research about what boat to get, i just wanted to get out on the water so a boat in hand that I could afford certainly was better than dreaming about a boat I couldn't afford. I bought a Siren 17 a few years ago for $900 ready to sail. I rewired the trailer and bought the required safety gear to make sure I was safe as well as legal. I went out as often as I could, which unfortunately wasn't as often as I'd like as I didn't have a way to tow my boat to the water due to a break up. Finally got a vehicle set up to tow, but then found someone willing to trade me even up for a Chrysler 22. Knowing all along I'd like a bigger boat I jumped at the chance. It's older than the Siren and needs more work, but there is more room aboard and it's still towable (barely) with my vehicle. Even though I my not actually cruise for many years (if at all), the bigger boat allows me to dream a little more about it and I get to keep practicing on inland lakes and whatnot. In the meantime, I'll keep reading and asking questions. When I'm out on the water I will continue to proceed with caution as my experience and confidence allows. I'm 39 now and figure I have many years of sailing yet to come.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook