SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
I haven't looked in on this thread for quite a while. I'm enjoying reading everyones posts. I spend so much time reading about technical things that I think I forget why I decided to do this in the first place. Maybe I was looking for some validation when I started this thread. It isn't an easy choice to make at 24. Especially when you can't get most 24 year olds to do much of anything outside starting a career or finishing a degree. Going against the flow is never easy. The biggest issue I have from reading this thread is, how difficult is it going to be to come back? I'm kind of hoping that someday, when I've been at sea for a few years, I'll just decide I've had enough. Maybe that will never happen. Well, what if I don't come back? Moitessier spent most of his life at sea and I envy his freedom. I think people are afraid of doing something different from the usual program. But if we stop and consider this I believe most of us would agree that people that do something different often live very full and interesting lives. Maybe once I've done that I'll start writing too. As it stands now, I feel I'm doing the right thing at the right time. Coming back in your late 20's is not to late to get going. If I'm going to expand my horizons I thing it's best to do it now so I can get the most benifit from my experiences. If I discover the meaning of live at 60 I'll wish I figured it out at 25. And, as it is said above, it doesn't work out who cares. Coming home broke at 26 doesn't seem like a problem. Most 26 year olds are broke anyway. I have no debts so as long as I don't die I figure I'm bound to come out ahead. I am blessed to live in an age where the world is both big enough and small enough to explore.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook