SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Part of the beauty of Sailnet is the truth that emerges from a heated discussion. I see nothing wrong with zealous advocacy from different points of view. Truth comes out of conflict and controversy. No one should expect the polite conversation of a Victorian parlor conversation and no one is forcing anyone to participate. If you do not like a particular discussion, go to a different thread. Personally, I have learned quite a bit from this discussion and we may have actually saved some lives here.

The moderators do a good (and thankless) job of cutting people off when it gets too personal.
The moderators do a good job. They stepped in when there was an antisemetic remark I agree, A spirited argument is good. Brow beating is not. While what you say is true...you don have to read it, I wonder, actually I taled to 8 Sailnetters at a get together last Sunday for brunch. Almost all of them had something to contribute about the Bounty in opinions. Almost al of them said they didnt contribute because they didnt want to get skewered by the zealots in the thread. So how many other people do you think that encompassed.

While it isnt a Victorian culture in here and doesnt need to be, losing peoples opinions just becauise of the tone of postings which may provide different insight and perhaps a new view in a learning experience isnt necessarily a good way to go either. I am not without fault for contributing to that, but as far as Ive seen I am the only one to openly admit that. The rest defend their tone vociferously and yes zealously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook