SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
New boat: Revolution 22

This is one of the most improbable boats that I could think off: An offshore 22ft aluminum pocket cruiser with a rounded bow. not only the material seems odd in a 22ft cruiser as the concept in itself is very unusual, lifting keel and all.

This is a David Raison project. David is not only a NA as a sailor and a racer that has come up previously with this strange mini racer:

Ok, all could see that the boat was fast downwind and in flat water but most raised doubts about sailing with waves specially upwind where the disadvantages of the concept are obvious. Most thought that the boat would not be competitive in real demanding conditions like the ones that are found on a Transat.

Than he won the France-Brasil mini Transat

and sailors start to think that this concept after all worked and start to think that he would come up with a 40class racer along the same design principles. Well, it is very possible that would happen, but the boat that he announced as the second to have this concept was a 22ft aluminum pocket offshore cruiser and again most were left with an open mouth

And now they have presented the boat:

Not only it seems to sail very well as I start to like the little bugger. If I was a young cruiser alone (or a couple), dreaming with voyaging and had not much money I guess that I would be sold to the idea. After all this is a very solid boat with an acceptable stability, an incredible standing height of 1.90m and a positively incredible interior space that includes a true head and all. On top of this the boat sails well and is sold at the incredible price of less than 50 000 euros and that including 20% VAT. That is about the same price of a J70.

This is pretty much the boat for an adventurous young cruiser that wants a pocket cruiser, not expensive, very resistant, transportable with a minimum of maintenance, fast and a go anywhere boat, a kind of four wheel drive. The boat can be transported anywhere, it can go almost anywhere and can look for shelter on any creek or little river. It needs only to pull the keel up.

This is a very interesting boat, the question is: There is a market for it? Curiously I would say that there is a bigger market for pocket cruisers in America than in Europe but I doubt that the more traditional American taste in boats would permit it to have success there.

I remain very curious about this boat and its success, or not, on the market.

Last edited by PCP; 12-18-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook