SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
If the Captain said he liked to sail Hurricanes, if the wife says that his husband sailed plenty hurricanes, if the crew says that the Bounty sailed hurricanes to the point of saying that "Bounty loves Hurricanes" it seems to me that the odds are that they had sailed hurricanes previously. That is a lot of people to be all bullshiters.

The Captain's wife was very adamant about that in the interview she gave on a TV program. She said, questioned about this Captain's statement:

Quote:

"Walbridge said "you try and get up as close to the eye of it as you can, and you stay down in the southeast quadrant, and when it stops, you stop. You don't want to get in front of it — you want to stay behind it. But you'll also get a good ride out of a hurricane."

Claudia McCann said Tuesday that during the public television interview her husband was "being a little…cute, I guess."

"But he would like hurricanes because they pushed him, they made him go fast. And he's been in many hurricanes. I mean, I can't even count the number of hurricanes he's been in."

HMS Bounty captain 'wasn't gambling' with lives, wife says - World - CBC News

Probably she is exaggerating but I don't think she is lying so I guess that the Captain and the Bounty had been in some hurricanes before.

Audio | As It Happens with Carol Off and Jeff Douglas | CBC Radio

By the way, I have posted on the interesting sailboat thread some movies about tall ships. On some of them we can see how those boats can be sailed and what sails are used with F10 winds. Of course, even if those boats seem to be the same as Bounty there is a huge difference, a difference of two centuries in boat design.

Regards

Paulo
PCP,
Thanks for the video post, I will take a look.

My point is even though Bounty Capt/Crew say they have sailed hurricanes, I do not believe that ship ever encountered hurricane conditions (Sustained winds over 75 mph). This is based on the video that has been posted here of bounty sailing in much less winds and the ship heeling excessively and equipment falling apart (rig and pump systems). I think if Bounty had truly encountered hurricane conditions prior to Sandy, she would have sunk in her first hurricane. Bounty may have sailed near a hurricane, but far enough away to not have hurricane conditions- huge differance.

In any case, if the ship was playing with hurricanes, in my opinion that is not good seamenship.

Last edited by casey1999; 12-18-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook