SailNet Community - View Single Post - *Thinking* about a bigger, better boat
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road
Re: *Thinking* about a bigger, better boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
It's funny Tom because the first half of your email read like my search when going from my previous boat to the 28-2. It's got so much storage space and is so much more comfortable than my Catalina 25 was (and we still enjoyed cruising on that). I guess that is why it's three foot itis.
I guess I got eleven foot itis. I went from cruising in a Catalina 25 to cruising in a Catalina 36.

Be prepared, you cannot go back, at least I cannot. Camping is a good comparison. Last summer I solo'd to South Manitou Island in Lake Michigan. I explored the island and the beaches on a cold rainy fall day, as did a few of the island campers. The island is only open to backpack campers and offers primitive sites only. When I got back to my boat I took a hot shower, changed into warm clothes, turned on the stereo, opened a bottle of wine, and then started dinner. All the time I thought of the others on the beach who were crawling into their nylon tents in their wet gear, probably to have dinner on protein bars or else fight the rain and mosquitoes with their tiny back pack stove. I've been camping. Sailing is better.

I think the Catalina 34 is about as nice as the 36, unless you actually plan to use the stern cabin for more than storage. Cabin is pretty similar, but the cabin seems small in the 34. Anything 34 or above is going to seem like a palace compared to what you've been in.

G. J.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook