SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You dont know that. What kind of info did Colombus or Shakleton get, Hillary get. How about those guys who race those vessels sailing around the world in the Roaring Fourties around Cape Horn with 40 ft seas////are they reckless. Do they stop when the conditions get worst and think about killing the rest of the crew? Hell no the put the pedal to the metal. They stop for nothing.

Dont tell me those boats are really made to stand the weather they encounter. They are Carbon fiber/ Kevlar flyers

dave
I am not quite sure how these men sailed there ships. But like I said, they would use whatever knowledge they had at the time. I am sure once they learned about the season of hurricanes, they would do they best they could to avoid sailing in that season. These ships followed the trade wind route for good reason, once they learned the routes. They would keep an eye on the sky and wave height and direction- from these they could make educated guess as to what was over the horizon. These men did not have satelite forecast, nor radio comms (as Bounty had), but they made the best use of what they had. Sometimes they could not avoid a storm, and would loose a ship, but they would never knowingly sail into a hurricane.

Bringing up sailboat racing into this is a whole nother topic, let's not go into that here as that would be thread drift, maybe start another thread for that.

Last edited by casey1999; 12-18-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook