SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Probably just me, but I view the notion of "seaworthiness" as more of a relative term in most cases, rather than something that can be established as an empirical "fact"... We see repeatedly here, how miserably most attempts to classify or define what makes a "Bluewater" boat wind up failing, for example... I'd suggest any attempt to "prove" whether the BOUNTY was "seaworthy", or not, would entail similar difficulties...

Only thing I can assert with any certainty, at this point - just my opinion, of course...

After seeing some of the various photos posted of the engine/generator/machinery spaces, and viewing the YouTube of the BOUNTY lying ahull in what appeared to be near-gale conditions at most, well... that wallowing pig was most certainly not a vessel I would care to be aboard, anywhere in the remotest vicinity of a major hurricane... And, she certainly was not "worthy" of being placed in a position between such a storm, and Cape Hatteras...
Fact is the chief had made that quote seam meaningless, I am sure it was not intentional. He quoted me: "No matter what, the Captain was responsible for having sailed out of port in a ship that was not seaworthy" and forget : to sail near a HURRICANE

Even so he seems to have doubts about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

quote=PCP;963703].....
No matter what, the Captain was responsible for having sailed out of port in a ship that was not seaworthy

Again this is not a fact that is wasnt seaworthy. You keep beating this drum, but this has not been proven,. Posting something you do not know to be true and pretending it is fact is dangerous. ..
the full quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
No matter what, the Captain was responsible for having sailed out of port in a ship that was not seaworthy to sail near an hurricane; he was responsible for instead of running from the Hurricane or going to one of the possible good ports available; he was responsible to chose to sail a Hurricane.

These are errors that had tragic consequences, errors that a professional captain should not have made under any circumstances. These were no mistakes, this were gross errors. You have already basically agreed with this.
Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-19-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook