SailNet Community - View Single Post - recutting my blown out main
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
recutting my blown out main

Ahoy jollymonjeff, poppycock and goofy haven''t a clue on this one, Holidays are over folks! I''ve got your answer because I''ve just done what you mentioned and your plan is sound. Your sail has pulled into the shape you see it as. I used a majic marker (red of course) and made my line along the boom as you suggest. I recut the sail removed the rope then very carefully hemmed the sailcoth , hand sewing it where I wanted it (keep in mind that the material has a mind of it''s own. Don''t fight it. Start by making several tack points and see how it lays out. (You''''ll need lots of open space to work in). After I had it hemmed flat all along the sail I then had a friendy machine operator sew it but good. Re-attaching the rope was a painfull and tedious process but not all that difficult. Keep the rope straight and watch it dosen''ty twist up and pull the lower edge of the sail out of shape.
Lastly I had to re-gromet for my slides and re-tie them on. My finished product corrected 90% of my problem and cost little except patience and about two thimbles of blood from needle pricks. Your not wrong to make your interium changes no matter what the" buy new , professional desiged " pundits say. From what you describe it can''t get any worse any way, mine didn''t. The chalk line didn''t work for me. I will admit that having a recut unprofessional sail on my boat my may make me a Pirate among the esteemed members of this site but you know what? ... shiver me resins I don''t care! Big Red 56
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook