SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this pro wiring?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this pro wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Cost of new Beta Marine diesel including installation, $10 to $20K.
Cost of rewiring the instrument panel to your own satisfaction, virtually nothing.
Does this put it into perspective for you?
Not really. I certainly know that diesel motors are expensive and what motivates people to cut corners. However I assumed that if a factory authorized shop installed the motor (as the seller claims), they would insist on doing the instrument panel (warranty and liability issues being what they are). One of the other posts indicates this might not be the case.

It's above a quarter berth, so the exposed wires could easily be disturbed. I know one thing. Even if I did it, it would be a lot tidier than this, and I'm no ace electrician! It's funny... On my boat space is often so tight I can't make wiring as tidy as I would like. Given the space on this boat, I could clean this mess up in about an hour, heat shrink and all! I'm actually envious, though I don't know I want the task!

So, with a new installation, where would the shop draw the line. "We mount the motor, but you can hook up the prop shaft and/or connect the instruments." ? I would think they would want it to be running and have functioning instruments when they signed off on it. Am I wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1125121049.jpg (31.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by L124C; 12-19-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook