SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do?
Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I still don't understand why one would want to sail around the world since you are already here, however, It seems to me, if you just hug the coast line real close it would be a lot safer. As I look at my atlas, I see you can practically drive to England from the East coast of the states via Nova Scotia, a short hop to Green Land, Ice land etc. I don't sea any place on my Globe that has a very big distance of open ocean from a Land mass if you follow the contours. like all the white colored land on the top and bottom of the planet. Why all these big ocean crossings are so popular I can't fathom. Look at the Pacific, just cross from Siberia to Alaska, I hear you can see one from the other. Saftey first at sea I say.

FANTASTIC ADVICE!

I don't know why hugging the coast never occurred to me on my circnav. Now that I think about it, why the hell does everyone take the longest open ocean route by following the equator? Crap on that. I'm going to do it north / south. I figure you can hug the coast of north america until it becomes south america. jump across to antartica and sail around to the other side, then jump up the coast of some island like australia for example. You can do this all the way up the back side of the globe and over the top, arriving back in nova scotia.

Now that i see you can circumnavigate by coastal cruising, my Morgan 22 should be just fine. I have a bimini, so that will catch rain. I can poke a hole in the top and let it drain down into my water bucket, just as an emergency backup in case three or four cases of gatorade don't make it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook