SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rigging Company in Northeast

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
Looking for recs. on a Rigging Company in the Northeast (MA) area. I got quotes from two Riggers for a complete rig. Company 1 -(Rigging Only in Fairhaven, MA) ROM quotes ~ $2200 for the complete rig. New stays/shrouds, fastening hardware, turnbuckles, and they put it together,but I have to remove old rig and install new rig. Company 2 (NE Rigging in Boston/Concord, MA) quoted about the same, but the price does not include the head stay. I would need to add ~$350 for that.

Anyone have experience with both of these companies? I don't think either is significantly better than the other from my discussions with each, but the extra $350 is significant, unless NE Rigging is that much better.

Thanks.

DrB

#3 · (Edited)
I've heard good things about both companies.

The only knock on NE Rigging I was warned about and experienced myself two Summers ago, is they're good, if you can get them. Probably a casualty of their own success, but they seemed too busy and may over commit on jobs/timelines. We lost 4 weeks waiting for them to come out to the boat after repeated promises and no shows. I was told about similar experiences at our Marina during the process. We ended up using someone else as it was a small job, and I'd still give them another shot based on their universal reputation for quality workmanship. No hard feelings as they did apologize, but something to be aware of.

Since you're only buying the rigging from them and don't need their services, it may not be an issue.

Your prices are in line with estimates we received as well.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

#4 ·
I would go with Rigging Only, I have yet to deal with a better company in the boating world....Their customer service is second to none, support after purchase is also second to none. To be fair I haven't used the other companies listed but I don't think you can go wrong with Rigging Only.

#5 ·
Rigging Only is down the street from me (I bike/walk there!) and and have gone there for a few nick nacks (rope, hardware, vinyl decals) and and pretty happy with their service...Their prices are also pretty fair...

I've read a few good reviews from them as well in regards to people whom have gotten their boats re-rigged there...

#8 ·
Will Company 2 be removing the old and installing the new rigging? If so I might pay the extra $350.

When I replaced all the standing rigging on my last boat the rigger took off the old stuff over the winter, copied it in his shop and was present to install the new stuff when we stepped the mast.

YMMV

#9 ·
I have heard tons of good things about Rigging Only, but the wires (full standing rig) that I purchased from them have rusted very quickly. In addition, the turnbuckles which I received with the lifelines I bought from them are inferior (not SS 316???). I don't know if I got a bad batch of cable or what, but I am less pleased than almost everyone else I have spoken with. RO was not particularly helpful when I raised these concerns.

#10 ·
I was planning to order 5/16" 316 wire from them to replace my old rigging.
Their price is much lower then West Marine's or other large marine stores but
how can I be sure about quality? The market is flooded now with cheap and inferior 316 wires made in China and I don't want to lose my mast in the middle of nowhere.

#11 ·
"how can I be sure about quality?"
Same as anything else. Either you choose a vendor based on their reputation and rely on that, or you actually have the parts tested by a lab and return them if they don't conform to the written spec you required before placing the order.
If the vendor is buying wire direct from a maker, it probably is what they think it is. If they buy from a middleman, it can still be counterfeit even if the spools are marked with a brand name.
They had a problem with substandard wire even when the Brooklyn Bridge was being built.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.