SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do?
Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
FANTASTIC ADVICE!

I don't know why hugging the coast never occurred to me on my circnav. Now that I think about it, why the @#!*% does everyone take the longest open ocean route by following the equator? Crap on that. I'm going to do it north / south. I figure you can hug the coast of north america until it becomes south america. jump across to antartica and sail around to the other side, then jump up the coast of some island like australia for example. You can do this all the way up the back side of the globe and over the top, arriving back in nova scotia.

Now that i see you can circumnavigate by coastal cruising, my Morgan 22 should be just fine. I have a bimini, so that will catch rain. I can poke a hole in the top and let it drain down into my water bucket, just as an emergency backup in case three or four cases of gatorade don't make it.
I know, Exactly my point. Throw a big bag of lentils and wheat berry's and you can eat fresh sprouts the whole way. If you do it right you may end up with more food on board than you left with, Fill your cockpit with soil and plant some corn, Dry half the kernals for replanting later. Ground up the fresh kernal's into flour and make tortillas. This is the only way to get all the nutrients you will need from the corn. Another great source of protien, take along a pregnant pig. You can surgically remove legs and parts with out sluaghter, untill the off spring are of size and continue this from generation to generation. It's a bit morbid I know, but it's how sailors of day's gone by did it. Worked for them and should work for you. I never tire of fresh pulled pork tacos, add some pickled habanoro peppers and you should never have to pull in to resupply.