SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overloaded
Thread: Overloaded
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Overloaded

Hey,

Was the TRUE wind 30+ kts or was that what you saw when sailing upwind? I'm guessing that the TRUE wind was 20-25 kts, which is great for sailing downwind but not so great for sailing upwind unless you are on a fully crewed race boat with 1000 lbs of beef on the rail.

IMHO, if you are going to be SAILING in 30+ kts you need at least the second reef in the main and the headsail should be a 100% jib or smaller. Even then the ride probably won't be fun or easy.

For me, if I'm out for a fun sail, and I encounter weather like that, I will drop whichever sail is easier and then motor sail back. IMHO, there is no point in beating up the boat or myself when the goal is to have fun. I love a spirited sail, but there comes a point when it ceases being fun.

Lastly, even if you had the storm jib aboard, where you going to change it under those conditions? Not me, I would either reef the existing sail or, more likely, just drop it.

Glad it turned out well for you.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook