SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overloaded
Thread: Overloaded
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Overloaded

a. You could sail the Delmarva and never see sustained wind over 15 knots if you watch the weather. Often enough I have crew that refuses to sail in a strong breeze, so I just work around it. My first 2 trips were with and elementary school daughter for crew in a 1200 pound catamaran; she was game enough to do anything I asked, but parents have responsibilities. Yes, we got caught in a strong squal, but we had the laundry in.

b. Now you know to carry a smaller jib. 2 reefs in the main might have been wise at 30 knots, depending on the boat. Dropping jib is an option.

c. When tacking in a breeze try to get the jib in as it crosses; no grinding.

d. BarryL had a good point. There are times on a passage where you need to suck it up, but on a coastal cruise like the Delmarva, consider the beating your boat will take. Is it worth the deterioration? Often not, depending on the boat. Forget the romantic BS and consider the cost of a stretched sail. Not cheap.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 12-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook