SailNet Community - View Single Post - Traveler???
Thread: Traveler???
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Traveler???

Reading sailing instructions and gear threads a lot lately, I've got a question about the hardware involved in common traveler systems.

Seems ta me that the object is to be able to swing the boom across to the opposite tack without going thru the gyrations of letting out-hauling in the sheet, to maintain existing trim. Why all the cars/lines/blocks and fancy rails? How many users change the car position and re-set all the gear; other than to get it out of the way in the cockpit? Is the line/block/car arrangement used to trim better than the main sheet? Is the car set changed often. once it's slid to the opposite tack? Is it used more as a movable vang or; a combination main and snubber?

Why not a simple 'bail and ring'? Perhaps a way to stopper the "ring" somewheres along the way? OK; mebbe bail & ring is oversimplified; but I seem ta recall seeing something similar on an old rig somewhere. Mebbe a simple car and track without all the gizmo sheaves and lines?

Am I missing the point of a traveler altogether? Please enlighten me.

Point being; I'm looking into moving from a boom-end sheeting system to a mid-boom and locating the attachment for it on the cabin top. Hardware prices being what they are; do I need ta spend those kind of bux to achieve that simple a result?

TIA,
Paul

Last edited by deltaten; 12-19-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook