SailNet Community - View Single Post - overpropped vs underpropped
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: overpropped vs underpropped

Quote:
Originally Posted by srah1953 View Post
The only data that I can find in the manual is the maximum output rating of 39hp at the crankshaft at 3,000rpm. It gives a propeller speed of 1,293 rpm and a reduction ratio of 2.32. Can I multiply one by the other to get max rpm (which would make 3,000 rpm)?
No you shouldn't be multiplying anything by your gearbox ratio. Your tachometer, if correctly calibrated, reads your CRANKSHAFT rpm, not your propeller shaft rpm. It's max RPM at the crankshaft at WOT that you're after.

My engine has at least 3 variants as well. One governed at 3000rpm, one at 36000rpm and one at 4000rpm. Mine is the 4K version.

The way my mechanical surveyor found this out for sure, was he used a sight gauge to verify that my tachometer was reading correctly as they often are not. Mine was off by 1000rpm EDIT: this should read "of by 100 rpm at 3000rpm"at 3000rpm. Once the engine was WELL WARMED UP to operating temperature after running under load for a while, he had me put it in neutral and advance the throttle to full throttle. He took a reading on my tachometer, and another from his strobe sight tach thingy, and I put the throttle back to idle.

In short, if you want to know for sure where your engine is governed, then floor it in neutral once it's warmed up. Where the govener stops you is the RPM that you should be able to reach (or get near) at WOT.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 12-19-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook