SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dripless Shaft Seal versus Stuffing Box
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Dripless Shaft Seal versus Stuffing Box

mark--beneteaus are good--seems those with them ar ehappy--same with formosas--woul dlove a cuddle from ye, hombre guapo--
as for formosas with leaky stuffing boxes--yipes--seems to be a common problem with our boats---our modification was to cut a fender into strip of rubber, wrap the failing fitting with this mod and hose clamp it to the stuffing box. yes, it still pours water into boat, so isnt the needed fix....still looking. i have to pump out the bilge 2 times daily, until the boat has sat for 4 days, then only once daily... mine is also due to some engine mount problems, as well as good old "old age"....--seems mine are too soft, and require some manner of stiffening. that will be attended to in feb, first repair on my list. am searching for the most compatible haul yard in my way as i sail on to panama....huatulco seems like a decent idea , or acapulco, altho' i feel acapulco may just be a tad pricey....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook