SailNet Community - View Single Post - Traveler???
Thread: Traveler???
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Traveler???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
The traveler is one of the most important controls on the boat, it is the only way to control the angle of attack of the main.
The first thing I do on a boat that has pin stop traveler is to upgrade it to a line/block and cam cleat arrangement. Being able to use / adjust simply and easily is the best way to make sure you do adjust as needed.

Travelers let you point higher, reduce weather helm, heel less and - when the main / jib is balanced even steer the boat.

Frankly, there is no way I'd change a end boom sheet to a mid boom. Same reason - more control and less force - not to mention it makes single handing that much more difficult.
I support all the statement here. The main sheet angle ( using the traveler) is proably the first adjustment i make when on a particular course of sail. As said you will increase the loads a lot when you make them mid boom. ( actullay very few are realy mid boom but 2/3 the way down the boom). As chuckles said you will be better off with a car/ line system rather than pin so you can adjust easily with loads on the line .

Personally since I dont race this is not really an issue for me. I have no problem when single handing coming around the wheel and making adjustments to my main. I have an aft cockpit boat where the end boom sheeting would just be a giant pain in the ass with the traveler in the way at my knees or under my feet stepping over it all the time.

It is one of the factors in buying a boat for me. It cuts off cockpit room, places highly loaded lines where a guest can trip them and get hurt, and prevents having full protected cockpit with enclosure in bad weather.The only end boom sheeted boat I would by would be a center cockpit with the traveler beind me.

I understand the advantages of htem, just not for the style of sailing I do. Race boat...different story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook