SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living on a sailboat
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Living on a sailboat

If it is nice out, I will pull a cabin berth cushion out of the cabin and onto the cockpit seat in order to sleep out under the stars. Nothing quite like it, much more comfortable than a tent, and you can be rocked to sleep with a full view of the stars and moon.

When I was a kid, my dad rigged a boom tent with a light nylon tarp so we kids could sleep out in the cockpit, even though there was enough room for us belowdecks in the forepeak.

I still like to use some camping gear on my boat for the sake of convenience: sleeping bag, propane stoves, battery-powered laterns, collapsible water bags, plastic utensils, etc.

In addition to "The Dove" by Robin Lee Graham, I read "Tinkerbell" when I was a kid, about a Cleveland man who sailed a 13' daysailor across the Atlantic Ocean, after building his own cabin on it. Before he took the trip, his family did some boom tent camping on the boat on the Great Lakes. Just goes to show you do not have to have a large boat to have fun. Sometimes, simple is better.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-19-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook