SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Way off current topic and back to thread topic::

Wind advisory last night shook, rattled and rolled all the boat in the harbor pretty good. I was trying to sleep on my boat, but every minute or so a gust would make it feel like a 6.0 earthquake. Pretty much a lost cause trying to catch shut-eye. Anyway I woke up at 4:30am as usual, noticed 2 sailboats furling jibs about halfway out, flapping wildly, bucking the boat back and forth tugging hard on the lines, ramming the dock. So, as a liveaboard, respectful neighbor, and watchful eye over my neighbors boats while they sit unattended for months, I rolled in their jibs and tied off their lines. Another boat in the marina next door lost their jib, probably a couple thousand $$? It was a 40' + new sailboat. Well, as liveaboards may be disliked by some people, we save you money when you aren't around and you'll probably never know.

I can't count the number of times I pull peoples shore-power cords out of the water, tidy them up and think nothing of it. Saved a kayak from floating away this morning too.

I think it's fair to say that liveaboards are usually a good thing to have around. Facilities are built to be used, offices get to stay open during the off season, and it keeps marina employees employed. Win-win in my book.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook