SailNet Community - View Single Post - *Thinking* about a bigger, better boat
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: *Thinking* about a bigger, better boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
This is why I put the question to the braintrust here! I thought all Hunters had the B&R. That is a nice looking boat, for sure. The 37.5 too. I could ding it for what looks to be a keel stepped mast, I guess. Which makes me ask: Am I being too picky on that issue? How do those who have these handle the rainwater that makes its way in, or is that not that common?
Both the 355 and the 375 are deck stepped.. so no worries there. The whole deck/keel issue can be overblown. But truth is even with well sealed partners at the deck, a dripless shaft seal, etc, you are still likely to get water down the inside of the mast, esp when windy and raining, through halyard slots, tang fittings, etc. A deck stepped mast does avoid that and is attractive from that point of view.

It's a manageable issue, (ie keel stepped) so if you find a boat you love otherwise I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand (btw, all Cat 36s, even MKIIs, are keel stepped unlike the others)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook