SailNet Community - View Single Post - PSC37 Forward Water Tank
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012

DosMarinaros is on a distinguished road
Re: PSC37 Forward Water Tank

The problem of leaking stainless and aluminum potable water tanks appears to be a recurrent problem in not only PSC and Island Packet vessels.

So the question I have is whether using epoxy to repair the leaks in such tank may not be more cost effective and expedient than destroying expensive joinery and replacing the leaking tank with a new metal or plastic tank.

West System G/flex 650 epoxy has been used to successfully to fix leaking seams and rivets, as well as punctures, in aluminum boats, so why not use this product to repair a leaking water tank? If toxicity is an issue, wouldn’t coating the interior of a tank repaired in such a manner with gelcoat used in OEM integrally molded water tanks prevent the leaching of the epoxy’s toxicants, particularly if used in conjunction with a high-end filter like the Seagull filter?

Indeed, given the apparent scope of this problem, it is surprising that West and other sources don’t offer a product for this specific purpose, if not already available.

The Cruisin' Cronins
Melisse & Tim Cronin
s/v Ruby
Pacific Seacraft
Dana 24 No. 101

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /) ~~~~~~~~

"I blew most of my money on broads, booze and boats... the rest I just wasted." - Elmore Leonard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook