SailNet Community - View Single Post - Improvised Repairs
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Improvised Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
For example, I once had the latch pop off one of the forward hatches of a charter. It had been glued to the inside of the lexan, not bolted through it, so when the glue failed, no latchee. It kept popping up and catching the jib sheet on a tack. The hatch had a little gas strut that held it up, so I popped the strut out and hung a pair of shoes off the end of it, which avoided the worst of the problems - save for some water leakage.
Any other suggestions for how I might have fastened the hatch down securely without drilling a hole in somebody else's hatch? I guess if I'd run into a real storm, I might have been less reluctant to do that, on the grounds of necessity.
Duct Tape - Don't leave the dock without it!

I also would have considered sail repair tape.

I had to repair the roller furler jib on a club boat. When it came time to mouse the pin, I couldn't find any wire. I did, however find that the binding to a chart book was one of those wire thingys... So, I clipped about 6" of binder off, and moused the pin back in place with it.

The next year, on the same boat, I noticed that the black painted wire that I put in place "temporarily" was still there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook