SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I Need an EPIRB?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Do I Need an EPIRB?

This is one thing I just don't understand. You can get VHF with AIS, but needs a GPS attached, you can get VFH with GPS, but no AIS, but you can't get VFH with GPS AND AIS? I've looked all over, but haven't found one yet.

My phone has GPS, my Camera has GPS, but they can't stick a GPS chip in a VFH along side the AIS hardware... just seems silly.

While I'm ranting why does an AIS transmitter cost so much money? It's just a digital VHF signal, like DSC isn't it? You can receive and display AIS on a <$300 dallor device that can send digital VFH signals, and has your GPS position (fed in from another GPS cause it won't fit in the VHF with the AIS chip) but to send that GPS signal out over the digital VFH airwaves is going to cost you another $700 for a transponder? Seems like a crock to me. I guess it's all still new enough they need to recover the research costs, and as time goes on, they'll likely get more integrated, perhaps I'm just to impatient.

But seriously, if anyone knows why this is I'd be very interested in a technical answer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook