SailNet Community - View Single Post - *Thinking* about a bigger, better boat
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: *Thinking* about a bigger, better boat

Hey,

I don't think there is any real significant advantage or disadvantage of deck stepped vs. keep stepped mast. Yes, a keel stepped mast is more likely to let rain water enter the boat, either through the mast or where the mast passes through the partners. However, a good mast boot will most most / all of the water. On the plus side, the keel stepped mast is probably stronger than deck stepped. It is also way easier to get the wiring from the mast into the boat (no connectors going through the deck). You don't need a compression post inside the boat.

My mast is keep stepped. I used to get a lot of water inside after a rain. Then I did a proper job of installed the mast boot and I also used some mast boot tape. Now I get very little (like a few drips) water inside after a rain storm.

Regarding some other boat suggestions, the Hunter Legend models (33.5, 35.5, 37.5) are pretty nice but they are getting old now. The last models were made in 1995 or so, so they are now approaching 20 years old. Personally, that doesn't bother me, but you stated you wanted boats that were more like 10 years old. Lastly, those boats do have a B+R rig with swept back spreaders. They still have a backstay and don't use the arch like newer models, but you still can't ease the main all the way out b/c it will hit the spreaders.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook