SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Choice
Thread: Boat Choice
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Boat Choice

Hello, Jeff states it well when he writes that you may have contradictory requirements. All boats are compromises, however, and the right boat will emerge.

My suggestion is to take your time looking. My own personal search has taken almost two years and, in that time, I have come to a completely different solution that I thought I would (and I have been sailing a long time). I am still not finished in my negotiations and the choice may change further still. But circumstance forced time on me and that turned out to be a terrific luxury.

Begin with a base boat of choice, say the Tayana 37. List its attributes. Make a list of the major attributes you wish to have in a vessal and go from there. Each boat you look at after that point will compare well or poorly (and thus be discarded from consideration). You will continue to refine your desired attributes. And then, you will find a boat that either "speaks to you" or is simply a very good fit for what you want and need. You will look at it and your list and see that they fit and the choice to put a contract on her is an easy one.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook