SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Horizons 26? Swing keel fixed in up position?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: New Horizons 26? Swing keel fixed in up position?

At 6000#s it is a fairly heavy boat compared to many other 26 footers but I'd rather be on your NH 26' in a blow on a Great Lake than on the others. The weight and keel shape help it deal with some chop, swell and breeze. You should consider reefing the sails at or before 20 knots of wind and then it can handle more wind and ride flatter.

Yes, the Douglass & McLeod yard in Fairport (?) Ohio made close to 800 T27 hulls starting around 1963. Some of the old T27's are still around and mine is from 1967. Many T27's still have working A4 motors in them 40 years later. They are hard to kill and the Moyer forum is the place to go if you have any issues.

As for sails, a newly made set of Dacron sails will certainly cost at least $3K. Looking at the prices for some used sails that would fit my boat at: Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies
I could probably get new-ish sails for closer to $1K. They don't have your New Horizons 26' model listed but from the rig measurements (I, J, P, E etc) you should be able to come up with some reasonable matches.

We bought a new main sail just over a year ago from Rolly Tasker (thesailwarehouse.com). It was custom made of their better grade of Dacron with full battened main, loose footed, 2 reef points and it came to $1800. This outfit fabricates the sails in Thailand but has sales offices in the US. A local hot-shot sail loft quoted us nearly $1K more than we ended up paying. Moral issues aside I am quite happy with our new main even if it was made overseas.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook