SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Thanks sparkle...

.just trying to figure out this whole distinction of reckless.

I guess some of what you are saying is when you have more information today and you venture into a 70 knott storm with 30 ft seas danger you are reckless.

400 years ago when you were sailing from Europe to the New World and you encountered the same weather/ sea state, you were brave and a hero. because you couldnt be forewarned and you survived it.

It seems that the explorers in the 15th and 16th century who really were venturing into uinknown or making return trip to the New World may have known some of the weather when they left, but 10 days out even using the sailors poem "red sky" which I adhere to also, they woudl be out in the Atlantic in their 60 ton Carvele 60 ft long. The way the old ships are designed that must have been pretty scary when they hit gales and large winds and seas. They truly had guts.

I would think the boats of the past surely handled similarly and all they could count on were the sails.

I admire what you are doing and am glad someone sees the value in preserving the older vessels and is willing to work on them as well as educate people about them.

As I know you have read some of this thread you know that I am a little more cautios about the Blame game with the Captain as well as assigning total responsibility of the sinking on him. Understand in the statement I know that the Captain of any vessel airplane is held ultimately responsible.

Do you feel the inquirey will be a valid one? Will the CG be impartial? Will they be able to get the full story out of the owner and the crew as well as maintainence records?

Dave

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook